Do you know that the ULEZ expands London wide now? In a historic move, the Mayor of London revealed a major milestone in the campaign for cleaner air. The expanded ULEZ now includes every major London borough, expected to bring cleaner air to an additional 5 million more people.
Currently, toxic air exceeds the World Health Organization (WHO) guidelines across all of London including the outer boroughs. This is believed to lead to around 4,000 premature deaths every year in London. But what does the ULEZ expansion mean, what are the advantages, and how will it benefit PCO drivers in the future?
What does the new ULEZ Expansion mean?
The most recent ULEZ expansion occurred on the 29th of August 2023. The Mayor has vowed to remain “a doer, not a delayer” when it comes to reducing inner-city toxicity. The move comes as one of many to reduce air pollution. Further initiatives include utilising record numbers of zero-emission buses and making London’s electric vehicle charging network the largest in Europe.
Additionally, £160 million of Scrappage Scheme funding is available to Londoners to switch to ULEZ-compliant vehicles. This means London residents can now apply to scrap a non-compliant car for £2,000. As of 28/08/2023, there are 4,641 second-hand ULEZ-compliant cars available for £2,000 or under on Autotrader within 200 miles of central London.
What are the associated advantages of the ULEZ expansion?
The benefits of the latest ULEZ expansion are wide-ranging and beneficial not just today but for the future. This applies not just to the future of London residents but the city as a whole. Benefits include:
- An expected reduction in carbon emissions in outer London by a further 27,000 tonnes by the end of 2023.
- Projected approximate reduction of 10% NOx emissions and 16% PM2.5 exhaust emissions by the end of 2023.
- A significant spike in the number of people applying for the Scrappage Scheme, with a 111 per cent increase in traffic to the website since 21 August 2023.
- ULEZ already reduced air pollution in central London by almost 50% and in inner London by a fifth.
- £100 million funding still remains so the Mayor is encouraging Londoners with non-ULEZ-compliant vehicles to come forward.
- 800,000 tonnes of CO2 emissions eliminated since 2019 (the equivalent of 1.1 million flights from London to New York).
Upgrade to a ULEZ Compliant PCO Rental Today!
At Rapid, we want our PCO customers to enjoy the associated benefits of the recent ULEZ expansion. When your vehicle is your source of earnings it makes sense to ditch the gas guzzler and go green! The switch benefits your wallet, the planet, and your customers too with greener vehicles providing a cleaner more efficient journey. Furthermore, all Rapid rentals offer additional multiple built-in benefits that include:
- Roadside assistance
- Servicing and maintenance
- Tyres and brakes replacement
Our dedicated PCO team will walk you through your ULEZ-compliant options, ensuring you secure the rental right for you. Our onboarding process is simple. All you need to do is:
- Obtain a weekly price
- Reserve your vehicle
- Choose to take delivery or collect your car yourself within 7 days
This article includes links to third-party websites and apps which we include solely for information purposes, there is no implied endorsement of using these resources. Clicking on links, visiting third-party websites, or downloading apps may allow third parties to collect or share data about you that is out of our control. When you leave our website, we encourage you to read the privacy notice of every website you visit. We are not responsible for the availability, content, accuracy, completeness, or security of such resources. We will not be liable for direct or indirect damages arising out of or in connection with the use of websites or apps.